In order to attract, grow, and retain talented people who engage in your vision and focus on your strategy, consider joining the many businesses that benefit from competency modeling. When designed effectively, competency models serve as powerful tools for building your business’s capability to grow and thrive in a volatile and complex global environment.
Competency modeling gives you a foundation for building organizational capability.
The Learn More button will bring a swift response from managing partner Cornelius Grove.
How can competency modeling support my global business?
A competency model is a system of six to ten competencies, developed from research within your organization, that are critical for superior performances in specific roles, regardless of the role-holders’ geographic locations. Global competency models enable a firm’s decision-makers to wisely select, develop, deploy, align and evaluate people, thereby building world-wide talent linkages across local and regional markets.
Individual or role competencies are the knowledge, skills, abilities, and personality traits that lead your employees to superior performances in specific roles. A competency is described by a set of behavioral indicators. A competency depicts the behavioral/performance standards needed by an individual role-holder to fulfill the organization’s talent management strategy.
The competencies needed by an individual to excel in discharging his or her role reflect...
- Aspects of the role such as tasks, challenging situations encountered, degree of authority, interfaces with related roles, and performance measures
- Aspects of the organization such as structure, culture, decision-making processes, lines of authority, and core organizational capabilities
- Aspects of the environment such as industry and marketplace conditions/norms and shifts, available technologies, regulatory environment, and competition
- Unequally distributed human traits and abilities such as motives for achievement, affiliation, and power; cognitive and other abilities (verbal, quantitative, spatial); interpersonal skills; emotional intelligence; and core personality traits such as conscientiousness.
What do effective competency models do well?
We design, deliver, and support implementation of competency models that....
- Are easy to understand and use
- Identify behaviors that are most critical to success
- Reflect the vision, strategy, and culture of your business in behavioral terms
- Allow flexibility to adapt to different national, regional, and organizational cultures
- Integrate core talent management components into a business, including the selection, development, and retention of the most capable people.
GROVEWELL associates Kathy Molloy and Richard Mansfield bring their expertise, perfected during more than a decade of collaboration, to the design and implementation of competency-based global talent management solutions. Through GROVEWELL, Kathy and Richard offer their unique capabilities to businesses that seek to develop competency-based global talent solutions.
Four of our services support competency-based organizational performance improvement:
- Development and modeling of role-based competencies, including leadership competencies
- Selection tools based on a tailored competency model
- Development tools based on a tailored competency model
- 360° feedback tools and processes.
When you engage GROVEWELL for any of these services, you can be assured of...
- Detailed, transparent Scope of Work documents and proposals
- Services delivered by widely recognized senior competency experts
- Skills for handling the impact of cultural differences on competency assessments.
- Experience helping executives lead culture changes needed for successful implementation.
Can competency modeling help me create networks of talent?
Effective role-based competency models help to align the performance of organizational members, worldwide, with the goals of their global, regional, and local organizations.
Superior performance in any key role is influenced by the national culture, the organization’s culture, and by the local plant or office culture. GROVEWELL has specific expertise in developing competency models for key roles in multiple locations with different expectations about the way work should get done.
Our team uses rigorous approaches for gathering, analyzing, and validating data, primarily through interviews and surveys with incumbents and their stakeholders. This enables us to build competency models that capture, for any role, subtle cultural differences across regions, markets, and organizations.
Can competency modeling help if my unit lacks specified roles?
Often clients come to us asking for competency models in the absence of clearly defined roles, or even clearly defined organizational units. We employ our organizational design expertise to clarify the needs, structure, and processes of your organization. We partner with you to design the infrastructure needed to support a successful competency model. This often involves designing roles with clear accountabilities and measures, then validating each one to ensure agreement about role needs among stakeholders.
In the context of a clear organizational foundation, global competency models enable a firm’s decision makers to wisely select, develop, evaluate and position talent, thereby building world-wide linkages across local and regional markets.
Can competency modeling meet my talent management needs?
GROVEWELL’s services in support of competency-based global selection include...
- Development of a selection process for key roles, networks, and units
- Development of supportive tools such as interview protocols, candidate comparison procedures, and decision tools
- Delivery of training in “behavioral interviewing” with follow-up hiring support.
GROVEWELL’s services in support of competency-based assessment and development include...
- Tailored design of behavioral indicators to reflect graduated levels of development, e.g. from learner to master
- Tools for leaders and managers that support just-in-time coaching and assessment
- On-line 360° feedback tools for assessing current performance and development needs
- Development planning tools and processes to support acquisition of desired competencies.
Our competency modeling services are tailored for each client, so the above lists are suggestive only.