When the professional field of cross-cultural services got its start in 1960, its goal was to improve the adaptation of people living and working in unfamiliar cultures. That goal was pursued through programs in which a trainer presented information to one or more expatriates.
GROVEWELL began in 1990 as a provider of cross-cultural services. We soon realized that our field was not treating expatriation as a strategic opportunity for the expats or their teams and companies. The missed opportunity was to develop leaders who were global-minded.
Other cross-cultural consultancies were providing coaching that, in essence, was “Training for One.” They relied on pre-determined content and processes that they assumed would help trainees gain awareness of the new culture. But merely enhancing the awareness of an expat missed the opportunity to expand his or her global leadership repertoire and global mindset.
WHY GROVEWELL DELIBERATELY CHOSE A “COACHING APPROACH”
So at GROVEWELL, we decided to not offer a one-size-fits-all, commoditized product. To this end, we reconfigured our service delivery into a flexible, customized, one-on-one “coaching approach” suitable for individual expats and couples, and ultimately beneficial to each expat's employee.
Grounded in our Coaching for Global Advantage methodology, our Cross-Cultural Adaptability Coaching balances cross-cultural information with coaching that addresses the expressed desires and – even more important – the unrecognized needs of the individual or couple. Our coaches deal with challenges of a personal, cultural, developmental, business, and global leadership nature, interweaving all into a tapestry yielding cognitive and emotional learning.
To visit GROVEWELL's cornerstone explanation of Coaching for Global Advantage, click here.
The Learn More button will bring a swift response from partner Willa Hallowell, who leads our coaching practice.
GROVEWELL’S MOST IMPORTANT DIFFERENCE: OUR COACHES
Most of our competitors make sure to use a trainer or coach with some experience in the target (host) country. GROVEWELL has significantly higher standards:
- Our coaches are fully trained, highly experienced, leadership/executive coaches.
- Each coach has both lived and worked in the target (host) country for a substantial period.
- If we have no coach with substantial target-country experience, we find a “resource person” who has that experience, and partner him or her with our coach during the entire day.
- Typically, GROVEWELL’s coaches have had living and working experience more than one foreign countries. Almost all are at least bilingual.
- Before engaging any coach candidate, we obtain references from three of his or her former coachees. We look for outstanding human beings with a capacity for warmth and caring.
- GROVEWELL applies an intensive, hands-on approach to insure that our coaches fully understand and are capable of delivering, up to our standards, Cross-Cultural Adaptability Coaching. Partner Willa Hallowell personally trains each coach who is new to this role, and personally supports all GROVEWELL's coaches in this role.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES OF OUR CROSS-CULTURAL COACHING
Our learning objectives for each expatriate and (if any) his or her spouse or partner are:
- To develop or augment their cross-cultural and self-awareness, including learning to notice but not immediately judge cultural differences and similarities;
- To enhance their cross-cultural competence, including their ability to interact socially and professionally with members of their new organizational and national cultures;
- To expand their capacity to learn how to learn on their own so that, following our coaching, they can continue to adapt and begin to thrive in their new environment.
AND for the children of expatriate families between the ages of 5 and 19, we offer Youth Coaching in several countries. Please ask us for more information about this option.
OUR MANUAL FOR EACH CROSS-CULTURAL ADAPTATION COACHING
GROVEWELL provides an internally developed, 60- to 80-page manual, specific to the host country, for each Cross-Cultural Adaptability Coaching engagement. In no way is our manual intended as a curriculum or agenda. Rather, it is a set of resources and discussion prompts that aid and support our coach’s flexible, coachee-focused approach.
The Learn More button, above right, will bring you a timely response from GROVEWELL partner Willa Hallowell. Or phone her at +1-7189-492-1896.